Feb 15, 2009

Sunday afternoon project


I bought some plates off of eBay shortly after Christmas, hoping to do a nice display in the kitchen. Once they arrived, though, I stalled and stalled and stalled because I didn't want to have to do the detail work associated with hanging them.

Hanging eight plates of varying colors and sizes around a platter seemed a bigger mountain than I cared to climb once they actually GOT here. But today I finally decided to tackle it, and -- lo and behold -- it only took about 30 minutes!

On Saturday, I prepped the plates by washing them and adhering the handy-dandy hooks to the back. These things are SO COOL; they're much easier to use than the metal hook thingies that wrap around the plate and hang all loosy-goosy on the wall.



All you have to do is remove its packaging, wet it to activate the glue and stick it to the back of the plate, making sure that the hook is pointing "up" according to the plate's design. Let it sit overnight, then hang it the next day. Thanks to my friend KELLY for the tip on these plate hangers!

Today after church I checked to make sure that the hangers were all secure (they were) before proceeding. Next, I traced all of my plates on white paper, noting the plate's design on each one so I'd know which template was which. Then I placed the template over the back of the plate and poked a hole through the spot where the hanger sat so that I'd know where the nail would rest.



I placed the plates in a circle on the floor, deciding which designs and colors worked best next to each other. The placement didn't have to be perfect, because I had my templates to work from on the wall itself.



Once I had the arrangement the way I liked it, I started nailing the templates VERY LIGHTLY into the wall, putting the nail through the little nail hole I'd marked on each template. Once they were set, I stepped back to make sure everything was even.



The next step was to remove the paper templates and hammer the picture hangers into the wall, directly into the light nail holes I'd put there when hanging the templates. Then I just popped the plates onto the hangers, and voila!



IT ACTUALLY WORKED. No one was more surprised than I at this turn of events, since I didn't use a level or a tape measure. Will wonders never cease?



But I'm really happy with the results! They're hanging at one end of our kitchen table, the site of many meals and, of course, today's epic Army man battle.


If you thrive on little projects like this (or WISH you did), visit Nesting Place and read her wonderful tips on ways to take 10 minutes to transform a room in your house. I love her sense of style and her practicality!

20 comments:

trish said...

I need to get some of those! :o)
Your wall looks lovely!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

To The Moon and Back said...

Beautiful. Love them plates. Where do you get those hangers?

southerninspiration said...

Those are some gorgeous plates! congrats for getting the job done!!!

Suzanne

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Ladies, You can get the plate hangers at craft stores such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby. They are very easy to use, and I am so pleased with the results! Thanks for stopping by to look at My Little Project. :)

Unknown said...

I have never seen those plate hangers but sure could have used them yesterday! Looks great!

Unknown said...

Wow, thanks so much for sharing your strategy! I'm going to try that!

Unknown said...

wow they look beautiful! and good job prepping and hanging! :-) love it!

Julie Willis said...

That really looks great! I'm always afraid to hang things........ even with the floor aporch. For some reason I can't get it to translate!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Thanks to all the ladies who've visited today! I am so happy to have read all of the kind comments. :)

Crafty Niche said...

GREAT idea and tip. Your plates are gorgeous and I am going to have to do this in my own kitchen!

Ashley said...

It's beautiful! Great job!!

Dana said...

Cool plates! I'm off to peruse Ebay...

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a great idea! I like how you laid them out on the floor first. They are beautiful. I love your kitchen. The wall paint color is very pretty too with the white furniture and plates.

Beautiful!

Jen

Jodi said...

great display and technique! love how the colors add to the display too!

The Nester said...

LOVE the plates LOVE the hangers! Off to locate that company! Where did you get those?

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the plate hook tip with us.
Where did you purchase yours?

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

The hangers can be purchased at craft stores such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby. In my HL, they were in the framing section with the other metal plate hangers. The plates are from eBay, and the seller's shop name is "Curiosity 2002." The direct link if you're logged into eBay is http://stores.ebay.com/CURIOSITY2002. They've been selling since 2001, and I rate them very highly. They are located in Germany, but the shipping was extremely reasonable, and the plates arrived more than a week faster than they'd told me they would. Hope that helps!

Delightful Dwelling said...

Wow, I've never seen that type of plate hanger. I may have to try those. Your wall looks awesome with the plates, thanks for sharing.

Kammy said...

Very nice - hmmmmm made here in Colorado - will have to check it out...I got many a plates !
Thanks and Hugs ~ Kammy

cpaoutsourcing said...

I really glad to seen your awesome project, its becoming beautiful of the wall, I am glad on your great job.
outsourcing bookkeeping

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...